Thursday, July 08, 2010

Was in the Ballard neighborhood today, mainly to ship off some books that I sold on half.com, but I also strolled through the artsy district and stopped off in a coffeeshop. There I finished "Four Quartets" and got through the first chapter of Jung's "The Psychology of Religion", as well as the third chapter of 1 John. More on those later, but for now, here's some snazzy pics of the Ballard Bell, a standalone bell tower in the middle of Old Ballard that I strolled by. Shots courtesy of my cellphone.
.....................................................................
To Luke:
Neat! I had no idea you'd had a copy of P.D. - I'd be very interested to know what you get out of it; It definitely got me running down all sorts of new thought-trails. As far as its effect on my poetry, I think the main practical point he made which altered my judgment would be his distinction between "Poetic Diction" and "Verse". Persevere! I tried to read "Goodreads" and Amazon reviews for it and about half the ones I came across were people saying they didn't make it all the way through. He waits til the end to make his main point.
.....................................................................
And now, DO NOT ASK FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS, IT'S FOR DECORATION ONLY!



2 comments:

Luke said...

That's understandable, considering it's not mine- it belongs to Christopher.

I was able to finish off the second part of The Pilgrim's Progress, so I think I'll be able to make it through Poetic Diction just fine. Although PD probably won't be nearly as edifying spiritually as The Pilgrim's Progress... Actually, few books would be more edifying than The Pilgrim's Progress.

So far, it has affected my thought process of song-writing (which is something I was seeking when I started to read it). What really made me think was when Barfield explains that pleasure experienced from poetry stems from your awareness of a change in your consciousness, which is gone as soon as you notice it.

Anonymous said...

oooooh!