Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Took Josiah out running today.
He's been at me every time I go running with friends to come with us, and I've tried over and over again to explain to him that he's just not going to be able to keep up and that it would result in no exercise for me and no fun for him. But he has persisted til I decided to take him out on a run to show him what I mean.

So we went on a run down to Discovery Park, which is about a quarter mile from our house. I kept a slow pace so we would stay together, just enough so he would be running at a speed proportionate to my normal running speed. I expected him to putter out after the first couple blocks, but he didn't.
Then I expected him to ask if we could stop when we hit the big hill that leads up into the park, and he didn't. He made it all the way up into the park, and around one of the wooded trails without stopping once.
When we'd been gone for about 20 minutes, I asked if he was ready to head back, he said once more around the trail, so around we went. Then he said he was ready to go back home. About an eighth of a mile from the house he got a couple cramps but ran through them, and sprinted with me up the hill and into the house.

I was very impressed, & told him so. He looked up at me with his tomato-red face and beamed a big smile, and said he was impressed too.

He's still not running with me when I'm going for exercise, but I'm definitely going to keep taking him out after this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Thats impressive, can't beat good genetics.

I'm so proud of you both!

Tell Josiah he is my hero!

Melody said...

Michael is so excited to take our kids running someday, he saw a dad out running with what looked like 7ish and maybe a 10ish aged kids keeping a good pace. He thought that was the coolest way to spend time together! Way to go Josiah, he probably would have kicked my butt, then again running pregnant is not so easy.