Thursday, October 22, 2009


It's a beautiful autumn day out. The morning's at a perfect crisp, there are just enough clouds, the leaves are all in process, so much so that they look vibrant to me. And I'm partially colorblind. I mentioned to Brandy it's the kind of autumn day they write about in children's books. It made me remember the first autumn that I can recall. We were living in a house (my mom & dad don't even know which one it was when I ask them) in WA, and there were deciduous woods all around. There was an enormous sheep pen right next to the house full of enormous and very loud sheep. We played out in the leaves for a while, and when it was time to go inside, we kids spread out sleeping bags on the bedroom floor and started jumping on them. It was all fun and games until my little brother jumped bottom-first onto the head of a nail that was protruding from one of the floorboards under the sleeping bag.
When you're little, I think you're so empathetic that whenever someone you care about gets hurt you feel like you got hurt too. There are plenty of memories where my brother and sister and I are unsure what happened to who because we all think the tragedy happened to us - we all remember the pain and horror so vividly. The only reason I know it was my brother and not me was because my mom told me so.
But tragedies aside, that was the archetypal autumn day to me.
And it's funny how memories work, because there's a children's book that I faintly remember, the illustrations of which blend in with all my autumn memories. It had almost impressionist illustrations, and the final picture was of a mother and her little son walking hand in hand down a trail on a fall day with trees full of brightly colored leaves on either side.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The house was in Kent
and the book is
Zolotow, Charlotte. Say It!
I wrote a poem about that place and the sheep
I'll send it to you!

Anonymous said...

My Three Feed the Sheep

My Three stand at the fence
and feed the sheep grass
plucked by tiny little hands
The sheep do not baaa like
Mary's little lamb but sound
like old men who smoke
and drink too much

My Three stand and feed
the sheep with their hands grass that grows all around
the sheep's feet
yet the sheep prefer the
grass plucked by
tiny little hands

My Three feed the sheep and
I stand at the window and
watch, forever to remember.

Uriel said...

Thanks mom!