Monday, August 24, 2009

Haiku Vs. Limerick.



My leaves drink the sun
veins bring life mixed with water
each fruit holds new seeds
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Each man's work is his gift to mankind
a gift woven with hands and with mind
mine's riddled with knots
it's horribly botched
'cause I weave like I'm numb and I'm blind.



++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
After I wrote this, I found out that haiku's aren't 5/7/5 syllables, they're 5/7/5 "moras" - which is a different subdivision of language, like a small syllable. I tried distinguishing moras, but it's beyond my ken.
So we'll consider these American style Haikus. We won the war anyway, right? And if they can put mayonnaise and corn on a roll and call it American, I think my imprecision can slide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, I liked that.
Although for me the word "knots" has alot of really positive creative connotations.
yummy mayonaise on corn!