Tuesday, October 26, 2010



I feel like I'm being given a raw deal at work,
as if my failings are magnified and others' overlooked
but what can I do?
compare myself to other men?
and expect justice on the earth?
If I have wronged, however small,
let me bare my back for beating
as my earthly masters see fit
and God help me to know
from the blood in my bones
that even this
is not to my credit.

If there is injustice
in unequal measures
of bureaucratic wrath
then let it be
for my True Master
to search out.

Let your blows inside the blows of men
and purge my inmost heart
to serve you in all things
with a clean conscience
and a pure will.

God, I entrust myself to your judgement
and I trust fully in your mercy
if there is vindication
to be had
from the scars and twistings
received from little kings,
then let it be
for you to raise up
and cast down.
Until then,
I'll wait.

2 comments:

Luke said...

I like this one a lot. Not because of your difficulty, but your resolve to let God be the judge and to take your own "flogging" at face value- even when your attitude doesn't earn you any merit with God. That's a tough one to come to!

Uriel said...

As Lenny Smith would say, "Christ in me, is my only hope" It was more of a resolution than a stable reality, though by the grace of God I've been able to take it that way pretty consistently after coming back from CA.