Thursday, January 14, 2010



Unlike our pachydermous friends, we must forgive.
"bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive." - Col 3:13.

Now there are a host of things I constantly remember when I meet certain people, things ranging from minor perceived slights ("complaints") to large onslaughts of nastiness, which I must decide what to do with.
Most of the time I hear the demonic audience in the colosseum of my will chanting "kill!" (or something less dramatic but still ill-tempered) and giving the thumbs down as I face/remember people and choose how to think about them. And then the Holy Spirit chimes in with verses like this one.

After reading it, I decided that God's being really generous here. It says "Forgive, as the Lord has forgiven you". However, I don't think I can. Not that I don't think I can forgive someone, I don't believe that God asks us to do things He doesn't give us the power to do. However, when Jesus forgave me, I was 100% in the wrong, and He was faultless of all transgression, against me or anyone else. I will never face that situation. No matter what trivial thing anyone's done against me (and honestly, I can't think of anyone that has done me a terrible wrong. People have done terrible wrong to my friends and family yes, but people seem to pretty much leave me alone in the "terrible wrong" department) I will never be 100% innocent when faced with the decision (and command) to forgive.

"Who has ever given to God, that He should repay him?" - Good question. I am perpetually in His debt, but he asks me to follow in his example of forgiveness, even though he forgave from the moral high ground, and the only people I'll ever have to forgive are transgressors like me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judah,
I know I'm your mom, but your a great teacher and writer. I pray God uses those gifts.

I love the elephants by the way. I pretty much love everything you do!(grin)
"Kojii does everything well!"

Love,
your goofy
mom

KaiCeder said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only mother who comments on her children's blogs!

You're mom basically said all I was going to say (except for the part about you being her son etc. I wasn't going to say that part.) ;oP

Keep writing, I'm encouraged, convicted, moved and blessed when I read what you write.

Uriel said...

Thanks mom, and Tammy.
I appreciate having my mom read my blog, but it might be nice not to have one's mother comment on every post. :-)

Anonymous said...

Gotcha!

Uriel said...

Have your daughters ever said something similar Tammy, to you as an appreciative mother?

KaiCeder said...

Beth has and often let's me know she appreciates my input. This has particularly changed since she had Maggie. Melody tolerates my input on her blogs and at least once every visit I make back to MN makes some comment about my FB "creeping" or some such thing. Daniel thinks parents shouldn't be allowed on the same websites as their children. I guess I can sort of understand as my dad just joined FB and it gave me pause to stop and take a look at what I've posted to make sure he'd be ok with it...to a certain extent.

I hope I have the same attitude and greater with my Lord...stop and make sure He'd be ok with whatever I've posted.